argh!

DocBot

Administrator
Staff member
...okay, so it's not the ram that's not working properly. I sent it in, they tested it, and it's working fine, apparently. My comp wouldn't even start with the ram in it. It's not a compatibility issue either, it's been running fine since august. So I guess what's left to do is try to get a better psu and test it with, and possibly sned in both the mb and ram :(

and every time they don't find anything wrong, it costs me like £40 :/ :/ :/

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks. :( I found that all my problems from last year boiled down to my motherboard -- basically, it was the VIA chipset giving me shit. Ever since I've used MSI mobos using the NForce3 chipset and have been much happier.

DocBot

Administrator
Staff member
yeah I've got a decent mb though, msi k8n nforce4. ah well, I'll just haev to wait until I can afford to have it repaired i guess.

Pestcontrol

In Cryo Sleep
You could use friends like me in Sweden. :)

I've always been happy with Via chipsets, they made some mistakes with their early Athlon/P-II chipsets, but that's a thing of the past now. Brand is more important than chipset to me, and Asus/ASRock never got it wrong.

Faulty ram doesn't often cause a computer to not boot at all (although just a few days ago i had a machine where the ram did just that), it's more of a destabiliser, powersupply can go both ways, luckily both are easy enough to swap out. That leaves the motherboard and CPU. I've never seen a CPU break without any abuse, but mobo often enough, after all, it's got a shitload of soldered components and tiny etched traces.

Also it's entirely possible a component works in one computer and not in the other. Fun. :S

In your case i think it may be best to bring in the whole machine and have it fixed. It won't be cheap, but it should better than a £40-a-spin lottery.