Brief Xcom Diary

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
The Council gave us an A rating for the first month, with just one escaped UFO on intercept. Long War gives you more interceptors but also more aerial encounters so it actually turns out worse for you.

The second month is getting tougher though. Still successful since the swarm that dropped Ghostwolf, but we're starting to lose at least one, sometimes two marines on every mission, and they're not all recruits. Ranking is slower in the Long War, so losing any experienced marines is tough. Panda came out of sickbay just in time to be a bullet magnet, but survive due to the heroic rescue of Simon Phoenix, who was killed only moments afterwards. Panda is now "gravely wounded". Again.

First Sergeants, though, which is great. Corporal Hicks was cut down by an especially deadly Thin Man, who also accounted for another. Fortunately, Sgt Lara "Nova" Croft was on hand to really lay the smack down. She's well named.

SgtFury

Junior Administrator
Staff member
I find there are 2 ways to play XCOM, brave fast and foolhardy, or slow and cautious. 2nd one tends to keep you alive longer. Keeping your marines alive tends to take a lot of Overwatch :). I tend to have 2 snipers 2 heavys 1 assault and 1 support. Works out a good mix.

Was having fun on Saturday, there were 3 of us on mumble and 1 of us was streaming their XCom game on Twitch :D. They hadn't really played it before so we were having fun watching them die in numerous ways. Worst case of this I saw was running someone up to an alien at point blank range, then realizing they hadn't reloaded their machine gun and couldn't use the rocket :D. Needless to say Furigar (my wow name) didn't survive long. I was into my 4th iteration by the time we stopped watching :D

We were getting to the point of thinking a drinking game where you took a shot depending on the commanders actions could get pretty messy :D.

Panda with issues...

The Council gave us an A rating for the first month, with just one escaped UFO on intercept. Long War gives you more interceptors but also more aerial encounters so it actually turns out worse for you.

The second month is getting tougher though. Still successful since the swarm that dropped Ghostwolf, but we're starting to lose at least one, sometimes two marines on every mission, and they're not all recruits. Ranking is slower in the Long War, so losing any experienced marines is tough. Panda came out of sickbay just in time to be a bullet magnet, but survive due to the heroic rescue of Simon Phoenix, who was killed only moments afterwards. Panda is now "gravely wounded". Again.

First Sergeants, though, which is great. Corporal Hicks was cut down by an especially deadly Thin Man, who also accounted for another. Fortunately, Sgt Lara "Nova" Croft was on hand to really lay the smack down. She's well named.

This happened in all my games too. Best just to let him die I think. He was rubbish at everything.

Nanor

I remember a game where you got up a full squad and then that number of your mates together. Each person controlled a squad member and had to choose it's movements. Sounded quite fun.