New Book Suggestions

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
I'm putting this here as a general thread for any and all new book recommendations. To stop the thread becoming a spam fest please only include one book at a time and select carefully i.e. think before you post!

I'll start the ball rolling. Having just read an article on Slashdot mentioning a SciFi book by the name of Wool. I've decided thats the next book I'll be reading. The reviews on amazon look somewhat amazing as well so lets see if popular opinion is to be believed or not ...
This is the story of mankind clawing for survival, of mankind on the edge. The world outside has grown unkind, the view of it limited, talk of it forbidden. But there are always those who hope, who dream. These are the dangerous people, the residents who infect others with their optimism. Their punishment is simple. They are given the very thing they profess to want: They are allowed outside.

Panda with issues...

I'm putting this here as a general thread for any and all new book recommendations. To stop the thread becoming a spam fest please only include one book at a time and select carefully i.e. think before you post!

I'll start the ball rolling. Having just read an article on Slashdot mentioning a SciFi book by the name of Wool. I've decided thats the next book I'll be reading. The reviews on amazon look somewhat amazing as well so lets see if popular opinion is to be believed or not ...

I've picked this up as well. Probably a bit of a lottery, but trying new authors often is. We'll see.

Traxata

Junior Administrator
I picked the Omnibus up and loved reading it.

Haven: In a couple of weeks you'll be able to buy the prequels: First, Second and Third Shift. (Third shift is in its final draft at the publishers or something).

Haven

Administrator
Staff member

Haven: In a couple of weeks you'll be able to buy the prequels: First, Second and Third Shift. (Third shift is in its final draft at the publishers or something).

Awesome, started reading first shift the other day finally. Not got into it fully yet but only a few pages in. Will keep an eye out.

Panda with issues...

I'm enjoying the omnibus enough so far. Some of his characterisation is fairly blunt, but the premise is interesting and reasonably well worked so far.

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
Nexus by Ramez Naam

New book I'm just about to start reading called nexus that might interest those of you who like your SciFi:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13642710-nexus

In the near future, the experimental nano-drug Nexus can link human together, mind to mind. There are some who want to improve it. There are some who want to eradicate it. And there are others who just want to exploit it.

The rights to the book have also just been acquired for film by Paramount (this is how I found out about the book):
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/paramount-buys-film-rights-nexus-scifi-seattles-ramez-naam/

Panda with issues...

Re: Third Shift: Pact (Wool)

I very much enjoyed the film of Silver Linings Playbook, and have been leant the book to read by a friend. Has a very different story apparently, though equally entertaining according to her.

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Nexus by Ramez Naam

I've finished Nexus already (had a day off yesterday and did nothing but read). Awesome book (my first five star book on goodreads ...). Reminds me a bit of the Richard Morgan Kovaks books (go read if you've not read them!).

This book is definitely one I reccomend both for the quality of the writing and for the amount it will make you think afterwards.

SgtFury

Junior Administrator
Staff member
Re: Nexus by Ramez Naam

Noooo don't make me think!!! I do too much of that already :)

Panda with issues...

I finally got round to reading Silver Linings Playbook this weekend on the train to and from Bristol.

It's a truly excellent book, and I enjoyed it immensely, even more than the film, which is impressive, as the film was very good indeed.

The book is an awful lot darker than the film, and all the better for it.

Only a short book at 270 pages or so, and definitely worth a read.