[Tech] UK mobile network recommendations

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with O2 right now, mainly because when I was first looking at a smart phone back in 2009 I decided on the iPhone 3GS and they were the only network that provided that phone on contract at that time.

So here I am still with O2. They're raising the price of my contract and, on review, I'm probably paying far too much for mobile phone things. £21.99pcm for 1000 minutes, infinite texts, plus 1GB data (I think, it may be 3GB). I probably don't use even a quarter of that data and maybe half those minutes in a busy month, and iMessage means I probably use 50ish actual texts in a month...

So knowing that I'm probably on the wrong contract, it lead me to wondering what my good options are.

Any network and/or package recommendations?

I'm looking for SIM only. I'll handle the phone part separately, probably courtesy of Google's Nexus range.

Pingue

I'm with GiffGaff- their ~£12 package gives me 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet (and free calls to other giffgaff numbers). It's ideal for me as I mostly use texts / data, but there's other packages out there.

Nanor

I'm planning on moving to Three whenever O2 finish their allotted time with their dick up my ass. I get 500mb a month which I use without an issue. Three offer a nice wee bunch of rolling monthly contract sims. I'm going for the £12.90 all you can eat data one. Also, I recall Three have fantastic rates if you happen to be roaming. I can't find any information on their site about this because it's a big pile of wank and not loading the page.

Traxata

Junior Administrator
That I am. I have £15 a month sim only with 5000 SMS, 5000 3 to 3 minutes 2000 minutes to other networks and unlimited mobile data I have all of that all across the USA, hong Kong, Indonesia, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Ireland and Singapore with more countries being added. This is what 3 call feel at home.
http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
[mod]Left image as a link rather than an embed. Appears that while it doesn't overflow, it's still expanding to enormo-size regardless of what you do in the editor.[/mod]

Traxata

Junior Administrator
Holy enormous image Batman!

Can you use that at home, now?

Oops didn't really think about the size of that image... considering the display is 1080p.... *whistles* my phone displayed it shrunk to size and left it nicely viewable...

I get that outside at the moment Ronin, so I'll see what happens if I stick my phone against the window ;)