[DotA] THN 5 v 5 friendly evening

Panda with issues...

Quite a lot of us are playing DotA at various levels at the moment, and a few of us have been discussing that it will be fun if we can get 10 of us together for a friendly set of 5 v 5 games, say a best of 3 Captain's mode or Captain's Draft, dependent upon what people fancy.

What we definitely want to do is make sure that this is a fun event, and that the teams (if it goes ahead) are relatively balanced. It's not going to be a lot of fun if one side steamrolls the other, and it will be interesting to have a bunch of different skill levels on either side.

As such, when registering interest in this thread, please give yourself some sort of rating between good, competent and rookie for the general different roles/positions in DotA:

1) Carry
2) Mid
3) Offlane
4/5) Support

This way we can at least begin to balance out some of the teams, as well as attempt to put people together based on role preference. Probably good if you can put down some of the heroes you've become comfortable with and played with a lot as well.

This is not going to be hyper competitive, though I'm sure there will be some chances to test your metal against some of your usual team mates, so Ronin's Kunkka won't be making it through the draft if he's on the other side and I have my say...

As for timings, we'll try and work out a specific date later, but for now, lets suggest some possible options:

Friday night, 8pm +
Saturday Night 8pm +
Sunday afternoon 5/6pm +

See if any of those suit.

Panda with issues...

Panda:

1) Competent, Void, AM, PA, Lifestealer
2) Good, TA, QoP, ET, Storm Spirit
3) Good, DS, Clockwerk, Windrunner, Brood, Bounty Hunter
4/5) Good, Venge, CM, Naga, Shadow Demon, Shadow Shaman, Nyx, Abaddon

I'm flexible on times.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Generally, Friday evening is pretty good for me. Sunday afternoon can work too, though a bit earlier would be preferable so it doesn't end up being 3 hours over dinner. Say 15:00 start on Sunday? Saturday evenings are variable; some work, some don't.

Besides, I'll be playing Rubick so steal all Panda's spells, all the while chuckling maniacly. ;>

I'd say I'm competent at any position, though not at any character, but I tend to choose carry, offlane or 5-role support.

Cookalarcha

Times are bad for me at the moment. But if they get decided I will try be there. And I will have to think about what heroes I can play and post them later.

waterproofbob

Junior Administrator
In terms of what level I consider myself still a rookie, have played around 100 multiplayer games. Am at level 6 in the seemingly pointless in game level :p. So take all my comments with a side of "I'm pretty sure I'm actually awful at this still :p"

1) OK as a carry if I get the early part right and have been improving my farming ability A LOT in the last few days.
2) Have had a decent amount of success 1v1 on mid being able to harrass people out of lane and staying alive when playing with good teams
3) Not entirely sure, had some where I've performed well, others with the same heroes that I've had a complete train wreck
4/5) Only had maybe a handful of matches where I've seen support being played correctly so really unsure. Would need more team games to actually discover if this is a role I'd excel in.

As far as when to play goes only days I can do at the moments are weekends due to the time difference. Once back I can try and plan an evening to be able to play. Friday nights could be good.

Noxnn

Might as well stick my oar in:

1) If given the space i can lane-control and farm with most carries. Just not Spectre (very weak early game means getting a decent spectre game in pubs is hard) or Meepo (Meeecrooo skills are lacking)
2) Invoker, Pudge, Kunkka and OD are my favourites. Ive not tried Huskar personally in the mid role but a fast 6 will net you kills (protip: Search Charles Barkely Huskar Build)
3) Clock, BH, Rubick and Beastmaster are some ive run there. The only thing you need to understand as an off-laner is how far xp range is and dont die. Ive run invoker off-lane before since hes not so heavily farm dependant as he is level. Also pubs dont deny that often so you can get a fast level 3 (Ghost Walk) which means you can relatively have an ok time.
4/5) Most common role of them all for me. For that its split between Witch Doctor (Malefice too stronk), Lion, Rubick (Insta-pick when Dooms on the other side), VS.

Though the jungle is my home. Pick ursa and you can usually force a first blood when you hit level 4 with tranq boots. If not you at least force one person out of the off-lane and give space for your carry.

Cookalarcha

I can play the following;
1) Juggernaut, Void, Skelenton King, Sven, Dragon Knight
2) Shadow Fiend (apparently), Kunkka, Sniper, Blood Seeker (in some cases a good counter mid)
3) Nature Prophet, Weaver, Mirana, Riki, Bounty Hunter, Nyx
4/5) Jakiro, Warlock, Shadow Shaman, Crystal Maiden, Lion & Lich

Cant think of many more at the moment. Not even sure if they are all in the right category.

3dge

I'm up for it, any time.

I'm all about support. \o/
Bane, Earthshaker, Rubick, KotL, Skywrath Mage, Lich, Lion, Witch Doctor, Sand king, Lina, Warlock
Enchantress, Nature's Prophet, Treant

And fairly capable with some more carry-some peeps:
Lycan, Bounty Hunter, Death Prophet, Sven, DK, Huskar, Drow, Bloodseeker, Viper, Sniper, Luna

Nanor

I'm up for it though I can't really commit to any times. This weekend might be alright but I can't promise anything.

Hero wise I play a good Axe, Witch Doctor and Doom. Happy with any role whatsoever, though.

SgtFury

Junior Administrator
Staff member
Just saw Panda's comment on the shoutbox and somehow this has totally slipped past me. I would be totally up for it, but timing and quality of my play could prove to be a hinderance :D

I could probably do a sunday evening though with prior warning.

As for preferred chars, I'll give anything a try, couldn't say how I would do with them :D.

Panda with issues...

Quality of play isn't really an issue, we're going to try and balance the teams as best we can for skill level to make it as even as possible so it will hopefully be more fun. This takes us to 8 potentially, though dependent on timings:

Panda
Ronin
Cookalarcha
Edge
Waterproofbob
Noxnn
Fury
Nanor

Badgering ghostwolf and Trax would potentially take it to 10, but they haven't exactly been screaming for the chance to play.

PsiSoldier

i'd be up for some of this, if i'm welcome c:
good with most heroes except for the real boring hard carries (not bad at them per se, 24/7 farmathons just bore the shit out of me and i lose interest in the game :v), and particularly good with skillshot ganker or caster heroes i'd say.

Traxata

Junior Administrator
Quality of play isn't really an issue, we're going to try and balance the teams as best we can for skill level to make it as even as possible so it will hopefully be more fun. This takes us to 8 potentially, though dependent on timings:

Panda
Ronin
Cookalarcha
Edge
Waterproofbob
Noxnn
Fury
Nanor

Badgering ghostwolf and Trax would potentially take it to 10, but they haven't exactly been screaming for the chance to play.

I'm sure we'd be up for it, but needless to say we've both been particularly busy of late :)

The downsides of having a job, Ski :p

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I can do late Friday or Saturday evening, but not much else this weekend. And nothing at all in the following, but then neither can Panda, Ghostwolf or Trax.

Nanor

Can possibly do Saturday evening. Depends what time though. As early as possible would be nice.

Cookalarcha

This really has not go nowhere near being sorted has it? Shall we try set a date(s) over the Christmas period when it is very likely a lot of us will have more free time if not sitting with families etc?

Nanor

Over Christmas should be do-able. Well, depending on if I can get my laptop to play Dota. Ubuntu just is not behaving on this machine.