Emoticon :P

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
If you'd care to dig out some alternate smilies with the same rough meaning, exactly the same size, and either in transparent GIF or transparent PNG format, the former matting appropriately to both dark and light backgrounds (or not requiring matte) then we could look at swapping it out...

VibroAxe

Junior Administrator
If you'd care to dig out some alternate smilies with the same rough meaning, exactly the same size, and either in transparent GIF or transparent PNG format, the former matting appropriately to both dark and light backgrounds (or not requiring matte) then we could look at swapping it out...

I think the point bloke is making, is the :eek: should BE :eek: so no alteration is required. Just overwriting the existing :eek: image

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Difficulty is that this then replaces the meaning of all previous uses of that emoticon, where (I assert) the majority of people intended the picture rather than the characters they used to create the picture. Thus swapping the icon changes the meaning for all uses of that emoticon, which isn't something I'd want.

VibroAxe

Junior Administrator
hmm, can the database handle regex's?

If so, port the old smiley to (say) :embarassed: and then find and replace :eek: with :embarressed:. Then add :eek: into the database.

Anyway, can I get that :P map done?

Wol

In Cryo Sleep
Can we get our little dudes to appreciate the concept of a FARKING NOSE! (e2a - mmmmm. nose farking :p )

:p :p

:P :P

;) ;-)

:) :)

:D :-D

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Part of the issue here is that :P and :p mean different things (to me). The former is an expression of exasperation. The latter is more playful, like sticking your tongue out at someone else.

Instead, I've found a couple of neat replacement smilie packs that would expand our repertoire and allow us to have those different expressions, plus some more, plus make the current defaults a bit more obvious as to their meaning.

So, thoughts on:

?

BiG D

Administrator
Staff member
Can't say I've put a whole lot of thought into it, but I'd say yes. I think something about changing the smiley set bothers me, but I can't really put my finger on it.

Wol

In Cryo Sleep
I'm happy with the modern one, or the current one....

.... as long as you map the equivalent things with noses in to the correct images. I get farked off when i type them out in full and it doesnt show up. Just because I give my little dudes noses :p

waterproofbob

Junior Administrator
I'm not that bothered the only one I think that needs to be changed is :eek: << that one as it is currently completely wrong it should actually have an opened mouth as that is what the emoticon is it should be :eek: << that one to my mind.