Facebook - what are your thoughts?

KillCrazy

I'm a strong believer in free speech as well as the power of "turning it off if you don't like it".
In my opinion, this is a clear case of where self-censorship should be exercised, rather than relying on someone else to do that for you.

I can understand that you can have the opinion that the user should they themselves turn off these things if they do not wish to see them. In my point of view however, not everyone is going to know what's happening in the video prior to clicking play. I certainly didn't know what was going on, and by the time I did it was too late, I had just seen it. I think this is a similar case with a lot of these videos on Facebook. There is no warning and no title to go along with it to tell Facebook users what's going on. I keep thinking about the more naive users of the web i.e. children, not approaching with any caution and watching these videos. That was my main concern and that is what angered me. Yes you can shut it off but in this case the damage has been done.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can shut it off but in this case the damage has been done.
Information is viral. For that, I'm not sure there is a good response except treating the web like the hostile environment it is. I don't meant that in a "oh look, you weakass dummy" kind of way. I'm just suggesting that we (all?) treat the web as though it's a playground, where it should be treated more like a warzone and due care taken at all times. Sure, I'd expect Facebook to be a sort of DMZ, but in practice I don't trust any big content provider to have sufficient human capacity or smart enough algorithms to cope with the nastiness of the web.

Ki!ler-Mk1

The internet is the like the wild west, Limited real control, and limited rules, though it is the worlds first truly international venture.

Facebook is like a sub sect able to have its own rules but appears to follow the net's pervading freedom first rule.

As haven said, if they actually stuck to their own rules they'd be able to say to every new and existing member "this is the way things are here, unlike the World Wild Web".

Example: imagining the Web as EVE and Networks within it as High sec or alliance space, each group is free to make and enforce their own rules, but ultimately any networks, as high sec in EVE is, is still part of the whole (EVE universe). And subject to the truths and reality (in EVE that being: that nowhere is safe).

A similar issue is the easy to understand Postman/ISP comparison that the ISPs keep making. I'm sure those guys receiving Ricin in the post didn't sue the postal service.

Retrospectively I am sure many governments wish the internet was established in house within each country and then interconnected, but I guess at some point in the 90's lots of ppl in lots of countries dropped the ball.

Panda with issues...

Information is viral. For that, I'm not sure there is a good response except treating the web like the hostile environment it is. I don't meant that in a "oh look, you weakass dummy" kind of way. I'm just suggesting that we (all?) treat the web as though it's a playground, where it should be treated more like a warzone and due care taken at all times. Sure, I'd expect Facebook to be a sort of DMZ, but in practice I don't trust any big content provider to have sufficient human capacity or smart enough algorithms to cope with the nastiness of the web.

I don't think that's a very fair example actually.

People need to realise it's just a subset of the real world, in my opinion. There are libraries, and shops, and areas for social engagement, but, just like the real world, shit can get out of hand. Bar fights sometimes erupt, there are places you wouldn't go at night, or at all. Disease is rife if you aren't careful and protected. There are prejudiced and ignorant people everywhere, and if you're very lucky, you'll find a group of people you can get along with and value.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think that's a very fair example actually.
While I sympathise with your point of view, I don't agree that one should treat the internet so lightly. Internet users, speaking from a technical perspective, are under constant, dedicated, malicious attack from all manner of what I'll generically call malware. If you treat the internet with anything less than care, you will get pwned seriously at one point or another.