[Tech] New computer

Cookalarcha

Well I want to get a new gaming computer, however I would like to build myself I know I have no experience in that area and don't want to risk breaking hundreds of pounds worth of gear if I mess it up.

I'l practice such things on my old comp at a later date. However I wand THN's opinion on the best website to get a comp built, who's used what or what do you guys recommend etc. I'l be wanting the whole bang, speakers, 2x monitors, mouse and keyboard etc.

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
How much do you have to spend?
What will it be used for?
Whats your priority in terms of performance (disk/ram/cpu/monitors) i.e. whats its REALLY going to be used for 90% of the time?
What preferences (if any) do you have for hardware (AMD vs Intel / NVDIA vs ATI etc).
Do you have any bits you want to re-use (i.e things you don't need to buy).

Nanor

Talking to Cook on TS I gather the most taxing thing he'll be using it for will be gaming. I don't think he has any preference over brand (though I've had better luck with AMD). I also believe he won't be re-using any peripheral.

I pointed him here. As for how to actually build your PC a quick YouTube search should bring up a few decent tutorials. There's also a subreddit that's quite active; /r/BuildAPC.I believe they have some tutorials there.

Cookalarcha

How much do you have to spend?
What will it be used for?
Whats your priority in terms of performance (disk/ram/cpu/monitors) i.e. whats its REALLY going to be used for 90% of the time?
What preferences (if any) do you have for hardware (AMD vs Intel / NVDIA vs ATI etc).
Do you have any bits you want to re-use (i.e things you don't need to buy).

As Nanor said gaming. The PC I'm currently using now will be my media, music, films and things like that while i boost up to a nice gaming only rig for myself :) and in terms of AMD and things i don't mind. I have a AMD card in use at the mo and its pretty good.

Id say about £900-1200 hopefully with at least a monitor in that price. and in time i'l get 2 monitors the same.