Rift subforum

Windzarko

The THN guild on the Argent shard for Rift is beginning to grow quite respectably, and we'll be looking into setting up our own end-game raid activities soon (rather than tagging on with others). Bearing that in mind, I was wondering if we could have our own little subsection of the forums for info posts, organisation posts and perhaps a few threads showing of shininess to try and lure more people in (particularly anyone disillusioned by pandas... yes, it makes sense in context).

Not asking for any private subsections or anything, just a single subforum split off from the main Games section so any important/organisational stuff wouldn't get buried under everything else (ie the main reason I haven't been posting Rift threads in there).

If this is a possibility, myself and Pirate (forum name "Pwnstar") are the guild leaders and thus first choices for moderators. Doubt we'd need more than just the basic subforum and the two of us modding it for now, we're nothing on the scale of the WoW guild yet :p

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
In principle, easy enough to add in the way specified. Before I do, one question that always worries me for new forums:

Do you have enough content?

From one perspective, it doesn't matter as you can just use the space you've got for stickies and so on.

Conversely, a silent forum can feel a bit painful to users, new and old alike and that can be a bit demoralising for posting.

It's that last thought that makes me ask.

Windzarko

Do you have enough content?

Understandable sentiment; short answer is, "probably".

Space for stickies, like you mentioned, is one of the reasons for wanting this bit of space; link archives, PvE progress updates and so on. Showcasing the game for other THNers and/or making them aware that we're about and which shard/faction we're on is another.

As for general activity... I don't know. It'll partly depend on how much things pick up, and having forum space is something I'm hoping will catalyse that a little. We've currently got around a dozen (give or take one) active players in the guild, and I think that if we had forum space, we'd get those people slinging posts around a fair bit (crafting requests, "how's this spec?", game news updates, etc). I'd also hope that it'd serve as a decent place for people interested in the game to ask about the game and see how we're doing. Even if we didn't expand much/at all from what we have now, we'd still be posting.

Basically, I honestly doubt it'd be that quiet (let alone silent), but I'd certainly not expect to see activity on the level of the WoW forums, bar a mass influx of new faces.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
So, done.

It's built in the same basic way as Games Chat, with Windzarko and Pwnstar as moderators.

Given you a little headstart by moving the [Rift] prefixed threads from Games Chat over.

Check and confirm, please?

Windzarko

Thanks muchly, just what we need. I'll pass word on to the other Rift players to get it in use.

Wol

In Cryo Sleep
Is there any easy way for those of us who don't play rift or WoW, to not have the front page end up with these?

Ki!ler-Mk1

Adding a new group between 'Games' & 'Site & Servers' Called 'MMO Guilds', would be one way visually wol.

Or you could resize your window so you cant see them any more on the home page... ;)

thatbloke

Junior Administrator
Is there any easy way for those of us who don't play rift or WoW, to not have the front page end up with these?

If you regularly use the New Posts button, you can instead do this:

Make a bookmark to http://games.thehavennet.org.uk/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=132,13 where those numbers you will see if you hover over the links to those subforums. e.g. for WoW: http://games.thehavennet.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Not sure if you need to add the subforums for WoW into that, I would hope not as you are excluding its parent forum, but try it and see?

Then when done, mark all as read.

Wol

In Cryo Sleep
Or you could resize your window so you cant see them any more on the home page... ;)

But then I lose two forums underneath then.

And I don't use the new posts link really. I much prefer going through posts with some form of context around them / where they are.

Oh well. Might just get the greasemonkey out instead then.

thatbloke

Junior Administrator
you can also double-click the orange icon to the left of the forum on the main page to mark that forum and its subforums as read