Star Citizen

Traxata

Junior Administrator
I thought similar to Nanor, when you get boarded, you want to be able to fight back! If there's no mechanic for that..... well. game over?

Nanor

There would be two ways I imagine you do this if they didn't have FPS mechanics:
  • No boarding - Screw that. I'm going to be a space pirate and I'm boarding your ship.
  • Automated combat - You get boarded. You have X troops they have Y. (X * combat skill) vs. (Y * combat skill). Bigger number wins.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, no boarding was a possibility. Thing is that I don't think it is even a particularly interesting thing for most smaller ships. Seen the size of the interior of, say, the Aurora or 300-series? It'd be like having a shooting match in your average living room, firing lasers over the sofa at the guy coming in the living room door. In other words, laughable and not particularly fun for more than a few seconds.

Instead, I feel like the boarding mechanic has been designed with the huge ships in mind (Idris, for example), which are necessarily limited in number in the open universe game and will tend to be held by a small number of people at the core of a large player group. In other words, I'm not sure that the boarding mechanic will actually turn out to be interesting day to day for many of us, but given that it's being treated as a core concept that sort of fringe appeal to effort ratio concerns me.

Traxata

Junior Administrator
There is also the ability to go down on a planet and have a war / duel / fight / etc