The power of silence, why the SimCity story went away

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I read this. State of the industry unfortunately.

Isn't this more a simple reflection on those that have more to gain from mass ignorance? Meaning that it affects any company whose bottom line depends on our consuming what they want us to consume and who would thus be hurt if our being informed lead to us making choices to consume elsewhere or simply not consume at all. I'm sure EA is at that sort of size, and Maxis is just a delivery arm of EA for this purpose. I'm sure the same could be said in any major industry, though.

BiG D

Administrator
Staff member
As a counterpoint: the simcity "story" existed exactly as long as gaming sites needed it to.

Panda with issues...

Isn't this more a simple reflection on those that have more to gain from mass ignorance? Meaning that it affects any company whose bottom line depends on our consuming what they want us to consume and who would thus be hurt if our being informed lead to us making choices to consume elsewhere or simply not consume at all. I'm sure EA is at that sort of size, and Maxis is just a delivery arm of EA for this purpose. I'm sure the same could be said in any major industry, though.

Sure. it's no different to the press and the parliamentary expenses scandal for example. How many of those were prosecuted? Or lost their seats? The media just moved on.

It doesn't help that consumers of videogames are generally appalling at sticking to convictions, as the boycotts over left 4 dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2 showed. It's no wonder that these companies think they can walk over people or just leave flames to burn out and dissipate when all evidence so far has shown the consumers generally just bendingover with a smile and taking it.

Ki!ler-Mk1

It doesn't help that consumers of videogames are generally appalling at sticking to convictions, as the boycotts over left 4 dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2 showed. It's no wonder that these companies think they can walk over people or just leave flames to burn out and dissipate when all evidence so far has shown the consumers generally just bendingover with a smile and taking it.

Its the same motivation that causes people to repeatedly purchase the latest call of duty games year on year with no innovation to the multiplayer, to the outside observer its madness.

What the article says about other outlets not being prepared to run with RPS's Source because they couldn't validate it and of course RPS couldnt break it's confidence severely restricted the story's growth, i'll bet some made news of the news on RPS at the time.

It is very sad that in order to keep selling the game saying nothing was all that was needed for the story to die off and sales to continue.

In that silence successfully lead to the shrinking of the story's presence and a lack of disruption in sales is disgustingly dishonest on the part of EA. I know they do not have to dispute allegations from purchasers but in not doing so it feels distinctly like an acceptance that the allegations were not incorrect.

Yeah, I read this. State of the industry unfortunately.

Kind of applies to them both.