Welcome Back!

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back all!

I reckon it's been around 14 hours of actual installation, migration, configuration, and modification to get this place up and running with our old data and the basic functionality we need, on top of maybe another 12ish hours of research and planning. Don't plan on doing this again any time soon... ;)

Anyway, we're here. This is a start.

Before we go further, you'll remember that you have to reset your password to log in, right? You can handle that from the link below:

http://games.thehavennet.org.uk/index.php?lost-password/

(There are some reports that using the link above gives trouble with the CAPTCHA. If so, use the link provided in the pull down titled "Log in or Sign up" in the top right.)

What have we got?

Well:
  1. A new forum populated with our old data. Stuff has been moved around and a few small bits didn't make it, but the (vast?) majority should be here somewhere.
  2. A shiny new shoutbox that won't pull its pants down in a shady alley... :p
  3. A style that should adapt for mobile browsers automagically.
  4. A new post rating system that's amusing and hopefully not going to be totally abused.
  5. A pretty damn good start for building upon.
There's probably stuff missing, or misconfigured, or plain out broken. Reports in this thread, please.

In particular, one change is that to get "full" member permissions you need to have had an account for 5 days and have 5 posts. When you sign-in here for the first time, it may take up to an hour for the system to spot that you qualify. You'll be missing a couple of bits prior to that.

In no particular order, stuff I'm still intending to do:
  • Logo
  • Userbars for users who earned them (they'll be different, but hopefully still good)
  • Event rsvp and discussion mechanism (linked to Events) forum
  • Steam sign-on integration (almost there, but need an underlying technology to make further progress)
  • Additional smilies
  • Changes to trophies
  • Addition of cookies into the post rating system (yay, cookies! ... feel free to use Like or whatever other rating you wish instead for now :) )
  • Some signature changes
User registration has reopened with some more stringent spam protection in place. You may get caught. If so, shout and we'll work on it.

There's probably other stuff too, but that'll do for now.

Questions, comments, all below. GL HF. :)

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
On the matter of logos, you can help. Yes, you. Well, assuming you've got some graphics package skillz, of course.

Criteria:

PNG, 72ppi, 180px width by 70px height, transparent background or self-contained with non-white edges (so it's not just odd on a light coloured forum).

You can probably have up to another 20px width if you need it, but height is non-negotiable.

I was just thinking something like [THN] or THN Games or something equally simple as cool text... but whatever works.

It'll be replacing the generic XenForo logo in top left of the page.

Any takers?

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I totally accept thumbs up from the post rating system, y'know. ;)

(Bottom right, above the signature, of a post that isn't yours.)

luc

Junior Administrator
Very nicely done, will take some getting used to but this update has been needed for a little while - nothing like a security catalyst.

I'm far from a graphics person, but for a temporary one:
thntemp1.png

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that luc. I tried that one out but it was a bit squashed in there. I think the height of the content within the 70px height needs to be a little under to look correct. I've experimented with two or three options and I've left my most recent in place. Not entirely happy with it, but it'll do for now.

Reactions: luc

Razaak

There's a somewhat random link to the Surrey Forum in the page footer - is that meant to be there (and if so, why?)

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
There's a somewhat random link to the Surrey Forum in the page footer - is that meant to be there (and if so, why?)

It is supposed to be there. We're running a suite of anti-spam tools developed by the guy who runs that forum. We can either pay for a branding free version of those tools, or display that message and have them for free. We've paid for three "mods" (shoutbox, post ratings, style) so far but I wanted to see how well other tools faired, especially alongside everything else that's been/being installed, before laying out any more THN monies. It's pretty subtle as a footer thing so maybe we'll just ignore it.

BiG D

Administrator
Staff member
The only real request I would have is a different background color or something to differentiate sticky posts from normal threads. They blend together a little much for my liking.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
The only real request I would have is a different background color or something to differentiate sticky posts from normal threads. They blend together a little much for my liking.

I've been thinking the same thing. I'll sort it.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I've been thinking the same thing. I'll sort it.
So, sticky/pinned threads are now separated slightly from the rest of the threads and have a subtly different background colour. I think it's okay and surprisingly eye catching despite the subtlety, but you may disagree. Thoughts?