What have you been playing recently?

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Magical Diary

A quick review as it's late... just spent the last four hours playing this without even considering the time. From the makers of Long Live The Queen (predates it, I believe), it's a tale of a girl who is a witch and has just started at an academy for witches and wizards. All a bit Hogwarts, I guess, and there's certainly an element of that in its teenage tale. Could easily be twee, but aside from a little teenage awkwardness (and the bit about effectively choosing a girl's story for her) I was left with a sense of engaging story, long term decisions, puzzles with various possible solutions (including failure as a path to progression, of a sort), and nuance and depth that I'm fairly sure I've not got to grips with yet.

Partly because my poor witch lost all her powers and was expelled. Game over, after a term and a half. And I'd gotten really pretty good at Blue and White magic too. I was all "hey, seems risky, but surely it'll work out". But nooooo... and that was a real surprise. It's like a choose-your-own-adventure with puzzles, romance, and possibility of death. It's pretty hard to describe, actually...

I want to go again. I could easily play it all again right now, but I must sleep. Perhaps not having played a game like this before really rates it up for me on unfamiliarity but if you've a passing interest in the game then you owe it to yourself to pick it up in the Steam sale now for around £2.50.

Cookalarcha

Lately I have been playing a lot of DOTA 2 and now stretching to Starcraft 2 a bit not really online though and I manage to get a Hearthstone Beta key. Thoroughly enjoying it for a turn based card game, I can see it being popular among the turn based games fora while when its released even more by the Blizzard fans. If anyone else has it or is planning to get let me know I will happily have a few games on it with folks I know/ THNers. It its another F2P but not out yet. Beta keys can be opted in for on your Battle.net account or through competitions on various websites. Or if you really want it there's plenty around on ebay.

I also plan to get the Xcom expansion on the sales over Christmas if folk are still playing that. I would love to play VS with folk for a laugh.