What phone do you use?

I use...

• ...no phone.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nanor

I was thinking of getting a new phone in the coming months and was wondering what phone THNers use and their thoughts on it. I'm currently using a Nokia Lumia 800. It's a nice phone. I love the OS and the build quality of the hardware is amazing. Dropped it, thrown it and done all manner of things and there's not a scratch. My gripes with it is that it runs Windows Phone 7.8 which means I don't get to use a lot of new apps that come out, hence why I may be upgrading soon.

So what do you guys use? Do you like it? Any horror stories?

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I still have my iPhone 3GS 32GB from some years ago. It was a good introduction to a smart phone, which I'd never had before, but I'd not purchase an iOS system again, nor am I at all interested in anything iPhone any longer. Battery life is now substantially degraded, iOS platform updates seem to make the old hardware run slower, and it's pretty poor at, y'know, actually getting a decent phone signal or holding a connection (though I admit that latter might have something to do with O2). But I also don't want to spend £200-300 on replacing a phone that still works, just about...

Panda with issues...

3510i.gif

I'm using a Nokia 3510i, it's a great phone, and I'd heartily recommend it to anyone. Cheap, highly effective and robust, proven track record, and does everything anyone needs a phone to do, make calls and send texts.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
does everything anyone needs a phone to do, make calls and send texts.
Sure, though oftentimes people want more than a phone. I think there are three chief advantages of a smartphone over a basic mobile:
  1. Mobile email client
  2. Mobile web browser
  3. GPS and some form of mapping solution (e.g. Google Maps)
That ignores any other mobile, handheld application.

I think that, really, the concept of "mobile phone" has changed into "handheld computer that's also capable of making phone calls".

SgtFury

Junior Administrator
Staff member
Ive gone through Iphone 3, Iphone 4 and now Iphone 5 and there are pluses and minuses, but you have that with anything.

For me the usability and setup of iphones is great. I tried using a HTC for my father in law and it was a very frustrating experience. Wether Iphones are a good choice for everyone, I wouldn't say that either but I get on well with them.

Like Ronin said, my phone is more about other things than making calls. It gives me the net on the move and apps that get me all sorts of useful information, or take photos, or read a book while waiting in a reception.

Crystal

Xperia J, don't get one, it's the worst phone i've ever owned.
It's like a mental hyper child, it just does it's own thing. 'Oh making a phone call are you? I think i'll just prank 6 people, delete 3 of your apps and load the calendar in 2016, hahahaha'
I cannot wait to get rid of it.