Wifi Access Point setup (Belkin 54g)

SgtFury

Junior Administrator
Staff member
Hey, thought I would see if anyone else has an idea of what I've done wrong because it's confusing me at the moment.

So we've been mucking around in our house with the wiring and we now have ethernet cabling coming from the small bedroom down to the 2 downstairs rooms (plus one spare for the loft in the future). We then moved the master socket up there as well and stuck the router in there and connected the ethernet up to the router. Great. Problem was the wireless reception down in the backroom was getting a bit spotty. So I thought "I know I'll use my old router as an access point and connect it up to the ethernet and extend the coverage."

Found a article on Tested that looked sensible and followed the instructions. Turned off DHCP on it, switched all security settings to the same as the original router, changed the ip to a different number. All seemed good, got access via wires and via wireless... tried a speed test and it ground to a halt. Also then couldn't access the 2nd router and had to reset it. 3 times now it seems to do this so I think there is a setting I'm missing somewhere or the Belkin router is way to old... :).

Any ideas?

SgtFury

Junior Administrator
Staff member
I wondered that, but the article didn't mention changing them to different ones. Plus I have neighbours on 6 and 3 so I'm on 11 :).

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
If they are sharing the same BSID but have different MAC's and Ethernet Addresses then there should be no conflict from what you've said. Its better to run on different channels if you can but tbh you're better still moving to 5GHz as there's far less contention there than on 2.4GHz.

I suspect a bit of the puzzle is missing still. Make sure you've no network loops i.e. two cables plugged into the switch and a router/access point anywhere that could be causing a broadcast storm (turn on Spanning Tree Protocol support on your switch if you have it to protect against this).