TS down again

VibroAxe

Junior Administrator
Having just spoken to dragon...

He had a mate who couldn't connect to teamspeak.thn.. I suggested trying a direct connect to promethius.thn and that worked fine. At this point I suspect it has to be TSDNS... Does it serve the IP using the DNS protocol or is it just "called" TSDNS?

Perhaps we should continue this on the mailing list? CC'd

Zooggy

Junior Administrator
Staff member
Hoy, :)

I'm still connecting to teamspeak3.thehavennet.org.uk, rather than teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk, and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Cheers,
J.

Razaak

Same problem as yesterday... getting rather tiresome having to reboot all the time, WTB solid state drive... have a heart for those of us still in the slow lane, huh?

Razaak

First time, yes. This time, no. But using teamspeak3... rather than teamspeak... worked AFTER a restart, but not before. It's frankly all over the place.

thatbloke

Junior Administrator
And hey presto, reboot the PC and it connects first time.

WTH is going on?!

I have no idea, because you seem to be the only person with this issue...

You haven't got something set up in your hosts file or anything like that?

Angelic

He's not. I couldn't connect yesterday either. I had the address right, the password and everything, I triple checked, asked the guys who were on (via WoW chat) etc, tried restarting TS etc, nothing worked, always got an error.

I still do ("Failed to connect to server"), but I have only put my PC to sleep overnight, rather than rebooting.

I had no issues whatsoever couple days ago.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect that this is a DNS issue, but in particular I suspect it's to do with particular ISPs, routers or configurations.

Questions for people with continuing problems:

• What's your ISP when you're using TS?
  • What's your router make/model?
  • Do you use a proxy server or other intermediary (e.g. PC running ICS)?
  • Does your router auto-dial when you need a connection or is it always on?

Razaak

Found a way to sort it without rebooting... run ipconfig /flushdns before starting TS.

That worked this time, so it looks like a DNS caching issue at my end.

The ISP is Plusnet, it's a Thompson TG585 router, broadband always-on connection.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
That speaks to a corrupt or conflicting DNS record somewhere. One for Haven and Vibs to investigate on Destiny and Prom respectively.

bacon

There is a difference in the aliases.

Code:
C:\Users\bacon>nslookup teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    promethius.thehavennet.org.uk
Address:  213.107.187.162
Aliases:  teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk

C:\Users\bacon>nslookup teamspeak3.thehavennet.org.uk
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    promethius.thehavennet.org.uk
Address:  213.107.187.162
Aliases:  teamspeak3.thehavennet.org.uk
          teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
That speaks to a corrupt or conflicting DNS record somewhere. One for Haven and Vibs to investigate on Destiny and Prom respectively.

I've dropped temple from the list of valid name servers as I think its still caching old data and we've not updated it to work with destiny yet. Let me know if things improve and I'll re-add it once we get it updated.

Angelic

ad RS's post:
  • modem's always connected (cable)
  • my ISP is UPC, the same I always used
  • modem's the same I always used, some kind of Motorola (irrelevant)
  • no proxy

After trying ipconfig /flushdns I was able to connect :)

VibroAxe

Junior Administrator
I've dropped temple from the list of valid name servers as I think its still caching old data and we've not updated it to work with destiny yet. Let me know if things improve and I'll re-add it once we get it updated.

Temple had cached older DNS data, but I removed it from the zone file a short while ago until we had this sorted. I assume at this point stuff should have fallen back to destiny..

We need to get the link back up again haven...

Also, is anyone stil having problems...

Tingham

In Cryo Sleep
Temple had cached older DNS data, but I removed it from the zone file a short while ago until we had this sorted. I assume at this point stuff should have fallen back to destiny..

We need to get the link back up again haven...

Also, is anyone stil having problems...

Yep

Seems down right now!

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
Yep

Seems down right now!

Tingham can you let me know the DNS servers you use - usually your ISP's and set in your ADSL modem. If you could give me the IP and the ISP name that would be helpful.

Ta muchly.

Birdy

In Cryo Sleep
Tingham can you let me know the DNS servers you use - usually your ISP's and set in your ADSL modem. If you could give me the IP and the ISP name that would be helpful.

Ta muchly.

that was me having a dippy moment!

I will try again tonight