[TS3] Max number of channel subscriptions

thatbloke

Junior Administrator
It has been made apparent to me today that people who are not server admins cannot subscribe to more than one channel on the server - meaning that they have no idea who is in what channel until they join the channel...

Xarlaxas has this issue, and when attempting to subscribe to a channel, he gets the following error:

Code:
<13:55:13> insufficient client permissions (failed on i_client_max_channel_subscriptions)

I see no reason why we can't allow regular users to do this?

Enya

meaning that they have no idea who is in what channel until they join the channel...

Code:
<13:55:13> insufficient client permissions (failed on i_client_max_channel_subscriptions)

I see no reason why we can't allow regular users to do this?

I must say that im with thatbloke on this.
Also I fail to understand the point behind this if this was an intended function.
Just annoying that you do not know who is where and if you want to talk to some other ppl you must go channel by channel to actually find that person :S

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect that there's something more fundamentally awry with the permissions. There's another, different permissions issue too around guest users. I was thinking about looking at this over this weekend but I don't think I'm going to get chance.

This has changed since earlier in the week?

Razaak

Similar issue in that no-one can subscribe to a channel family - not even server admins.

<16:50:24> insufficient client permissions (failed on i_channel_subscribe_power)

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, this sounds like it's almost completely arsed. I don't know why. I'll try to take a look later tonight. Expect unforeseen consequences, I suggest, but I'll try to keep things sensible.

Basically, registered users should be able to to do sensible stuff like post links, subscribe to channels, etc.

SAs should be able to do all the same, plus probably some kicking/op-ing, etc.

Plan to add a Super-SA whose main (only) additional power is to create new SAs. But we'll see.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Remember Top Trumps?

Remember how in, say, the monster versions they had four stats? I can't remember them all, but maybe it was Strength, Toughness, Magic and Fear Factor. I certainly remember Fear Factor.

Each Top Trump in that deck would have the same four stats but different values, and the higher value would win.

TS3 permissions are a bit like Top Trumps. Except there's a thousand stats and we're playing with four different decks all at once.

I'm going to spend another 15 minutes on top of the 30 or so I've spent already trying to decode the current system. If I can't, we have two basic choices:

1. Leave it as it is, which is to say subtly broken.
  2. Nuke the site from orbit, which'll also nuke all existing channels, permissions and the works.

Haven might have a different suggestion, but as I'm standing in for him just now we'll have to make do with my do nothing or go nuclear solutions...

Happy for suggestions or I'll just make an executive decision.

Enya

Remember Top Trumps?

Remember how in, say, the monster versions they had four stats? I can't remember them all, but maybe it was Strength, Toughness, Magic and Fear Factor. I certainly remember Fear Factor.

Each Top Trump in that deck would have the same four stats but different values, and the higher value would win.

TS3 permissions are a bit like Top Trumps. Except there's a thousand stats and we're playing with four different decks all at once.

I'm going to spend another 15 minutes on top of the 30 or so I've spent already trying to decode the current system. If I can't, we have two basic choices:

1. Leave it as it is, which is to say subtly broken.
  2. Nuke the site from orbit, which'll also nuke all existing channels, permissions and the works.

Haven might have a different suggestion, but as I'm standing in for him just now we'll have to make do with my do nothing or go nuclear solutions...

Happy for suggestions or I'll just make an executive decision.

NukeOrbit.jpg

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's kinda where I'm getting to.

For the record, the best progress I've made so far is getting access to the serveradmin account, which allows me to do pretty much whatever I need. If/when Haven gets to reading this, this means that the serveradmin password is now different and I can provide via a different channel.

However... more detailed inspection of permissions tells me that they're absolutely crazed. thatbloke and Nanor have explicit, dangerous permissions set for their client IDs. Neither Haven nor I have those powers. Even finding the permission about channel subscribing and decoding it back to an individual layer goes through one or two layers of abstraction and five tiers of possible permissions allocation.

I could be at this for days. I don't have days to spend on this.

So, unless anyone has any better ideas, at a point convenient to me and hopefully not conflicting with anyone else's events, I plan to backup the database (so Haven can dig me out of the shit) and call for effect fire to level the playing field once more.

Would you believe that, even then, some permissions are still denied to SAs? I should, from a vanilla start, be able to sort that out though.

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah TS permissions have been broken for a while now - I've simply not had time to do anything about them. I'd take a note of all the channels we have and their codec settings and start over tbh. Something bad happened when we had a separate virtual TS server a while ago that we couldn't remove properly - when we then moved to destiny this seperate virtual caused the main virtual to fail until I nuked some DB entries and hacked the new hostname in (not nice but the only way to make it work at the time). Since then we've had a couple of dodgy incidents where things have just "changed" and not for the better.

I say start over; Our original DB schema was for the earliest TS3 release (only just a beta) and we've probably inherited a tonne of bugs as we've carried that same DB through to the current TS3 server version.

I'm out of commission on the helping front atm unfortunately so I can't do much/anything for the next couple of weeks to help. If you've got the time then nuke and start over - please stick with mysql rather than sqlite please as it makes mister Haven happy.

Traxata

Junior Administrator
I have a relative idea of the various TS permissions Ronin.

There are two kinds if you're looking at it from within TS.

You were probably looking at the "simple" mode which I'll be honest makes less sense than the advanced mode if you found that?

I was dying of a migrane last night so didn't actually get on like we talked about.

Traxata

Junior Administrator
This issue should now be fixed, I have reset the guest and normal permissions to be able to subscribe to all channels. Can someone test this for me please? :)

Enya

This issue should now be fixed, I have reset the guest and normal permissions to be able to subscribe to all channels. Can someone test this for me please? :)

Still getting the same error code and can not see people on different channels.

Traxata

Junior Administrator
I have just done a quick test with Kershan,

While he is set to normal he can unsubscribe to one of our header channels ("Games / Default Channels", "Groups" and "Private, Personal, Temporary Channels") and then "Subscribe to Channel Family" which then ticks all the sub-channels of that group and displays the people within it.

He gets the error: "<14:04:09>
insufficient client permissions (failed on i_channel_subscribe_power)
" This is due to the fact that I disabled anyone being able to subscribe to one of the aforementioned groups as they cannot be joined and used as a channel. I can change this but it is completely irrelevant to what you're trying to achieve.

Enya you're not currently online so I cannot determine if you are in the guest group or the Normal group on TS and so I cannot debug further. However the permissions for subscribe are exactly the same for both of these.

Regarding a nuke from orbit and restarting; I think this is pretty much going to be a mandatory requirement now in order to fix the other permissions issues we're having unless Ronin with his new powers is able to edit the ones I could not.

Ronin give me a stab if you get 5-10 minutes free today?

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I'd prefer to start again from a known base. Too many hacks upon hacks. Even if we can fix this one with a permissions tweak, the database still contains a lot of redundant and incorrect allocation (there's a whole load of stuff still hanging around from virtual 0 and 3, even though we've only got virtual 1).

Traxata

Junior Administrator
We only ever had 2 virtuals, 2x 256 users (one was for testing configs, but haven had to hack it out; by result we're unable to increase slots back to 512).

However; All for a new/fresh install. That'll allow everything to at least be set-up correctly now we're on RC2