[Tech] Raspberry pi colocation

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this and thought a few of you might find use for your old pi's that are gathering dust somewhere:

http://raspberrycolocation.com/home/

For only € 36,00 a year (€ 3,00 monthly) you'll have your very own Raspberry Pi colocated in a professional data center.

Currently that works out at £30/yr for 500GB/month of traffic allowance. I'm seriously tempted to throw one of my old units at them and use it as backup dns/mx server.

Slap a 64GB micro usb in your pi + a decent SD card and you're pretty much set to do what you want.

Nanor

Sounds pretty interesting. As an aside did you do anything notable with your pi?

Haven

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds pretty interesting. As an aside did you do anything notable with your pi?

• XBMC / Rasplex box
  • Rasbian Debian Server
  • Took a brief look at compiling Gentoo for it and gave up rapidly :)
Thats my lot so far. I've got two of the 256mb models which limits my options a little compared to the 512 variants. If I had the 512 I'd be using Rasplex for sure. As it is one of them will be a home backup server plugged into a 2TB external USB. It'll act as print and bacula server on the local network with the possibility of backup dhcp/tftpboot environment to help me get out of trouble if I ever have issues with my main boxen. The second is a candidate for building up as a backup DNS/MX/Owncloud storage box and posting off to the guys above.

Very fun little boxes and worth every penny.

Nanor

Pretty cool. I bought an Arduino and I'm in the process of getting into a project with that. When I finish with that I may look into something interesting to do with a Pi. A co-worker of mine made a pipboy out of a Pi. You can read about it here if it interests you.