Star Citizen

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
So, yeah, Star Citizen. In-development space "sim" in the vein of Wing Commander, Privateer and Freelancer -- all unsurprisingly developed by the same guy who is leading SC, Chris Roberts.

I know that there's a bunch of us who bought into the project during its hugely successful crowdfunding phase (both its own, and on Kickstarter). This makes us original backers, which gives us certain (small) benefits over people who came later.

It's still possible to be one of those later people, though, and get the same benefits, by becoming a SC backer before 28 June 2013, which is when they're launching their new web site and ending what they call "veteran backers" coming in. After that, people are just backers and they don't get anything in particular special (except the game, of course).

One of the things that makes original backers and veteran backers different is that the original backers can ('til 26 November 2013) purchase SC packages at the original slightly lower prices, which can then be gifted on to others.

By way of comparison, if you're not already a backer, the lower tier prices are:
  • Digital Scout, $30 - RSI Aurora ship + 1K credits
  • Digital Mercenary, $40 - RSI Aurora ship + 1K credits + alpha/beta access
  • Digital Bounty Hunter, $65 - Origin 300i ship + 2K credits + alpha/beta access + other digital goodies
Where, for original backers, those look like:
  • Digital Scout, $30 - RSI Aurora ship + 1K credits + alpha/beta access
  • Digital Bounty Hunter, $60 - Origin 300i + 2K credits + alpha/beta access + other digital goodies
Oddly, the original backers Digital Scout package should be most closely equated with the Digital Mercenary tier from the previous list. In other words, original backers get a $5 discount.

There's some other differences on insurance that take effect after 28 June, but for the moment all those ships come with what they call "life time insurance" (LTI), which means that the hull of the ship you purchase will be replaced, like-for-like, if it is destroyed without you paying additional in-game credits for insurance. Mind you, that's just for the ship in the package, and when I say "like-for-like" I mean that the hull will be equivalently aged. Think of it like buying an X-reg car and getting LTI for that; if you crash the car, LTI will replace it with another X-reg car, but not with the latest model or registration, so you can expect something equivalently "weathered".

For higher tiers ($100+), the discounts get more substantial than $5 (think more like $10-20) but none of them are so massive as to be must-haves.

So, I guess the point here is that if you're wanting to get in on the game and get LTI and want a small discount, you should try to catch up with one of THN's original backers for SC and get to them to gift you a ship before 28 June. After that, they can still do that, but those ships will come with time-limited insurance that you'll have to pay a small number of in-game credits to keep up to date (or run the risk of losing your ship and needing to fly contracts in whatever hull the contract sees fit to give you).

AFAIK, the original backers list includes:
  • Ronin Storm
  • Traxata
  • Ghostwolf
  • Iron Fist
I don't doubt there's more.

Traxata

Junior Administrator
Well, I had/have a 4 pack. Of which Rojaws and Carps have one each.

One of my 4-pack I upgraded to a Digital Bounty Hunter, and I also bought the Constellation Add-on Ship.

P.s. VibroAxe has ordered one of them too.

Ki!ler-Mk1

Oddly, the original backers Digital Scout package should be most closely equated with the Digital Mercenary tier from the previous list. In other words, original backers get a $5 discount.

How do you access that webpage? When I go to https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

I see digital scout $30 (without alpha/beta), when I log in it changes to $35 (with alpha/beta).

Quad Digital Scout with alpha beta is $120 though.

Also: something interesting https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ships-plan/

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
If a kickstarter backer purchases additional copies of the game, the ships that come with those deals have transferable "life time insurance".
That is true. LTI is "attached" to a ship, so if you pass the ship to someone else then they get the benefit of LTI on that ship. However, my read on it is that LTI's value is effectively degradable because as your ship ages, so does the hull replacement that comes with it. Thus, if your LTI ship is all beat up from hard use, the replacement will also be all beat up. No glossy, off the factory line replacements unless you go and buy a new ship (and then you're in the game of buying insurance too).

All that said, the indication is that insurance is just a small overhead and probably doesn't add up to much against incomes.

Ki!ler-Mk1

There were no replies shown even after I made several edits. :(

Just found this:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/lifetime-insurance-clarification/

Care of http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Lifetime_Insurance

However, my read on it is that LTI's value is effectively degradable because as your ship ages, so does the hull replacement that comes with it. Thus, if your LTI ship is all beat up from hard use, the replacement will also be all beat up.

The important bit Ronin is that this line is present in both regular and life time ship insurance.

I think (speculation) that certain parts of the ship may be either difficulty or expensive to replace and the default components take damage much like in rpg/arpg games, if you die and did not repair, the new ship will have the hull, and the basic modules (in slots that you had uninsured non basic components), and any basic modules you didn't replace will not be repaired.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
There were no replies shown even after I made several edits.
Edits don't show up on "What's New". While we've allowed edit in perpetuity, I generally recommend using that only for persistant post maintenance. New posts for new stuff, even if it's updating your old stuff.
How do you access that webpage?
I see the same page as you, just the list is different because I'm logged in as a backer. I see your page by not logging in.

Ki!ler-Mk1

Before:

After (Login as original/kickstarter backer):

(did not link these pic in reply to post #7 :) )

___

Edits don't show up on "What's New". While we've allowed edit in perpetuity, I generally recommend using that only for persistant post maintenance. New posts for new stuff, even if it's updating your old stuff.
I mean, I was repeatedly pressing edit, and adding new information, mainly because what I had initially said repeating the OP. It did not update the threat with more posts edits after I removed the part you quote did not display that there had been a post.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
[Before & After pics...]
The package names are similar, but they don't necessarily imply the same contents. As you note, the Digital Scout packages match name, but the one for new backers doesn't include alpha/beta access. Hence why I equate the logged in Digital Scout package with the logged out Digital Mercenary package because they feel more equivalent.

Ki!ler-Mk1

Well, I was mainly indicating the expensive ones, as you hinted at in the OP, but ye, someone who cannot log in as a backer wouldn't be able to observe the beta access differences pointed out earlier, but if someone decided they wanted to buy one of the other ships that information could be useful.

However, do you notice the price of Digital Scout when I am logged in? :p
But while they have the same name, one lacks the beta access, its so silly.

Ship Scales:

SC-Ship-Scale_1357174871.jpg

Luster

This game is going to be awesome. Definitely looking forward to this game. I have the digital bounty hunter pack.

Nanor

So this game just hit it's $26 million stretch goal. I'm not really concerned with the stretch goals and I haven't promised any money but I know a few of you have. Are any of you concerned that the sheer amount of content this game is promising might not be achievable? They seem to be in a Dwarf Fortress situation where the game might never be finished and certain features will take literally years to complete.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Putting aside that my interest in the project was somewhat dampened by their only-just-over-one-line-response-and-then-only-after-three-weeks to my application... :-/

I don't think that production of content for these stretch goals need be an issue. I notice that they're not offering release dates for the additional content so my sense is that they're not necessarily for the initial release. And if they end up in a DF situation where they're continually taking in money and continually adding and refining content then that's no bad thing.

I do wonder, though, about the inclusion of person-to-person shooting mechanics in a game focused on space ships. Sure, the engine (CryEngine 3) is a shooter engine, but competent engine doesn't necessarily lead to a good shooter. Personally, I would much prefer they focused heavily on the ships and customisation and flying-based activities, an area that surely there's never enough content for.

A key area they're pinning a lot of longevity of the game on is the ability to produce procedural-yet-responsive activites through their economy. The mechanics for this economy engine are going to be key but I've not really seen anything on that since the original presentation way back in June. That said, they'll be focused heavily on the dogfighting module, planned for the end of this year, and economy is not required for that. I guess we'll have to wait and see on that.

I do wonder exactly how the project is pulling in money so quickly ($1M every 7-10 days). Maybe it's a Minecraft effect: people are pitching in because people have pitched in, though MC was playable in a real sense when that was happening. I'm honestly not really sure...

Nanor

I think the P2P shooting is an excellent inclusion. I also don't think that the game focuses on space combat and trading rather than space ships. This includes boarding which necessitates small arms combat. You can't board a ship and the only resistance you come across is a "please leave" from the captain. :)

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I think the P2P shooting is an excellent inclusion. I also don't think that the game focuses on space combat and trading rather than space ships. This includes boarding which necessitates small arms combat. You can't board a ship and the only resistance you come across is a "please leave" from the captain. :)
Is it just me, or was that difficult to understand? :S

Nanor

Fuck I dunno what I'm at. I got taught to use the coffee maker at work and I'm completely wired to the moon.

Basically: SHOOTING MANS = FUN. GUNS MIGHT BE GOOD. MIGHT NOT. HAVE FAITH MY FRIEND.