Ronin's Friday Fun

Xarlaxas

How good is Wargame? It's £10.20 on steam right now and I'm considering it. . .

Also, I'd be up for Payday/L4D/Ship

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member

Very good and well worth those monies, but it's not an instant gratification game. You'll take a few games to warm up and get with it, but me and Panda have been playing pretty much every week since release, Trax intermittently, and now Ghostwolf too, so there's plenty of people to get some practice with.

It's more strategic, less line up and shoot it out. Slower paced overall, punctuated by mad fits as you try to capitalise on an advantage or escape from near-certain doom.

Panda with issues...

It's fucking awesome

It's a strategy game that requires actual strategy, rather than micromanagement and knowledge of build queues, boring base building, escalation of units leading to tech mismatches etc which mark (and in my opinion mar) relic style rts games.

Xarlaxas

But I'm so good at those kinds of RTSes! :P

I will ponder it, if my damn eBay money would make its way into my account instead of being held in limbo by PayPal I'd probably snatch it up at a moment's notice. . . .

Traxata

Junior Administrator
There is also now a new DLC for Wargame, but I think it kinda moves towards a style of game that we didn't want for it. On the upside 2 more maps.

Panda with issues...

There is also now a new DLC for Wargame, but I think it kinda moves towards a style of game that we didn't want for it. On the upside 2 more maps.

Dunno really, will have to try it out and see. Interesting, the idea that you need to balance points to win versus points for units.

It may mean though that whoever gets hit hard to start gets stuck in a rut that is very difficult to get out of.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I approve of adding new options to the game. We can choose what to do with them then. I don't think we've played much of the conquest mode either. But it's good that they're thinking about this stuff.