Bioshock

Piacular

In Cryo Sleep
Had a razz on the demo last night.

Water looks ace :).

But, erm... I was a but meh towards the end of it. You don't get to fight a big daddy, and the hacking game is just pipes!

Still, it starts superbly, and it is only the first 0.00001% of the game :D.

Tetsuo_Shima

In Cryo Sleep
Im gonna wait and see some reviews before buying it (for Xbox 360. These kind of FPS's are always better on console), cant afford to spend 35 quid on mediocre games anymore. That said, it always seems to me that the games I preorder end up being mediocre, and the games I decide to leave turn out to be awesome. Just my bad luck I guess :D

Piacular

In Cryo Sleep
I've gone for PC Tetsuo (praying Games For Windows means it will still look lovely), so much cheaper, and if they release co-op then PC will have easier access for me :).

PLUS! These games are better on the consoles?! System Shock I & II were PC :p.

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
I have a lot of sympathy for the stance that some of these games really do work better on the console. The console controller is so very much more tactile, I find. I often feel more involved. That said, the console controller sucks mightily when it comes to rapid aiming, fine control, or point-and-click interfaces.

So, for me, it'll somewhat depend on where the emphasis lies for BioShock.

SgtFury

Junior Administrator
Staff member
I can never get the feel right on consoles with anything happening beyond the horizontal. As soon as you try to look diagonally it always goes pearshaped. Much more intuitive with PC.

Tetsuo_Shima

In Cryo Sleep
I have a lot of sympathy for the stance that some of these games really do work better on the console. The console controller is so very much more tactile, I find. I often feel more involved. That said, the console controller sucks mightily when it comes to rapid aiming, fine control, or point-and-click interfaces.

Exactly! Single-player FPS's where the difficulty is tweaked for consoles tend to be more enjoyable than their PC counterparts. Obviously BF2 might be a bit of a washout on console (but then, you arent exactly at a disadvantage using joypads if everyone is using them. In fact, the joypad helps to emulate some of the difficulty of aiming a weapon that is hard to put into the simple PC point-click context), but games like Prey or Medal of Honor or whatever always tend to be far superior on consoles. I'm hoping that BioShock follows in the same trend.

Interestingly, there was a poll on GameFaqs recently where they asked 'What's your favourite control style for first-person shooters?'. Personally, I thought the poll would show an overwhelming majority of votes for mouse/keyboard, but joypad-controls actually almost stole the glory! Here it is, here.

Iron_fist

Super Moderator
Staff member
well i'm heading out to the dev screening in about an hour or so so once i'm down from the ceiling then i'll let you know how i found it

Traxata

Junior Administrator
I can ..... i have no monies :p

I'l buy it Post 28th, probably the day after I go back to college.

Iron_fist

Super Moderator
Staff member
here it is... i finally got round to finishing this post so enjoy

as some of you know i managed to get tickets to the screenings at the EIEF, where one of the games that were being shown was Bioshock. Unfortunately the session started early so i missed the first 5-10 mins so i don't know what was said, however they played though the first couple of areas (going down into Rapture and the medical Pavilion) with a commentary and I'll say that at 30ftx18ft or whatever it was, in the dark with the volume cranked up, it was pretty freaky (a big daddy lumbering round the corner just in front of you and being almost 20ft high...) but it looked amazing, even at that size. I'm pretty sure that it was running 1080p on a standard 360 (they were using an official game disk) and it had a pretty smooth frame rate even with lots of fire and lightning on the screen.

If you've played any of Ken Levine's other well known titles (specifically System Shock 2 which BioShock is referred to as the "spiritual successor") then you'll probably have some idea what to expect, but as with all of his games those expectations will most likely be broken by the end of the game. Another aspect of this game which plays a big part are the diary entries that are littered around the game, these entries are a core element of the emotional interaction with the characters but also with the asking of a philosophical question in an interesting way.

and now for the links...

Gamers With Jobs - a rather interesting interview with Ken Levine

Atlas Shrugged - the book that is mentioned in several of the interviews as an inspiration and a source for some of the ides presented within the game

System Specs for PC

looks like there's going to be an editor available with the PC version

some videos in HD goodness from Gametrailers

and finally

Jack Thompson - its a new game coming out so he has to have a moan at something...

well my flatmate just got the demo running and it runs really nicely on an Opteron 265 (2.2Ghz dual core) + 8800GT and 2GB DDR400 at 1600x1200, the water is beautiful and the frame rate is pretty steady and more than 60fps at all times

that's all for now

Nanor

Ooh, very nice! But if I want to play it I need to know my PC can handle it. Can someone tell me what an Intel Celeron D is to a Pentium 4?

Iron_fist

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you have a spare 2GB bandwith you can get the demo through Steam
otherwise i know a celeron D is a dual core and should be somewhere in the middle of the required specs and i would imagine it would be playable at something like 800x600 or 1024x768, though the fact that you have (iirc) ~1.2GB ram and a 76/800 may have some an effect on performance

Nanor

I played the demo. I'm not sure if it was when I surfaced, if it was when I first entered rapture if it was when I saw my first splicer, if it was when I saw some woman's shadow against a wall with a pram talking about "when you were warm.. I wish I could hold you to my breast and feel your teeth" and when it was a gun in the pram, if it was when I saw a Big Daddy absolutely destroy a splicer, or the fact I can play it on high.. sorta.

Either way, oh my God this game is amazing I have to get it.

Piacular

In Cryo Sleep
Just tried the PC demo, and after playing both the 360 and PC, I'm going to have to go with 360. Even at 1680x1050 with forced x4 you can tell it's a port :). Plus the 360 just seemed to be more awe inspiring, perhaps because I tried that first :eek:.