Name that game!!

Ronin Storm

Administrator
Staff member
Is that Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator?

Nope.

And yes.

8 - thatbloke, BiG D
7 -
6 - Huung
5 - waterproofbob, Zooggy, Ronin Storm, Silk
4 - Velaphor, Nanor,
3 - Panda, Tempscire, Belegon, Xylak,SgtFury
2 - ChuChu
1 - Psi, comrade_phil, Traxata,Pwnstar

Obtained through powers of observation (I saw the enterprise!) and clever googling, never played it. Is it any good?

For its day (1995ish), it was an amazing, multiplayer, team RTS. I suspect that most of the basic ideas have now been distributed amongst the various games we take as staples now. I'm not sure that I'd recommend picking it up unless it's had a serious overhaul. Still, not sure I can name any other 16 player competitive team games from 1995... (I played the European Netrek League as... wait for it... Ronin Storm; true story).

VibroAxe

Junior Administrator
Damnit close!

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netrek said:
Developed as a successor to 1986's Xtrek, Netrek was first played in 1988. It was the third Internet game, the first Internet team game,[1] and as of 2011 is the oldest Internet game still actively played. It pioneered many technologies used in later games, and has been cited as prior art in patent disputes.[2]

So nettrek is circa 1988!

Quite impressive, and having looked at the screenshots, looks like it took a far leaf out of SOS. Damn you silkth

Silk

Well yes, but either you are sad enough to actually view credits (like the rest of us) or you used tineye. Which is it? Either case, welcome to the game & your go now. :D

8 - thatbloke, BiG D
7 -
6 - Huung
5 - waterproofbob, Zooggy, Ronin Storm, Silk
4 - Velaphor, Nanor,
3 - Panda, Tempscire, Belegon, Xylak,SgtFury
2 - ChuChu
1 - Psi, comrade_phil, Traxata,Pwnstar, Kasatka

Kasatka

Well i was a massive Diablo and Diablo 2 fanboy back at school, could quite all the trees and optimal builds. Forgotten most of it now, but the art style and music sticks with me!

Right, im going to do something a little different for mine and show you a picture of 2 characters from a game, but in Lego form!

pic1.jpg

Hoping this will make it a little trickier :rolleyes:

Tempscire

Well i was a massive Diablo and Diablo 2 fanboy back at school, could quite all the trees and optimal builds. Forgotten most of it now, but the art style and music sticks with me!

Right, im going to do something a little different for mine and show you a picture of 2 characters from a game, but in Lego form!

pic1.jpg

Hoping this will make it a little trickier :rolleyes:

Dragon Age?

E

elDiablo

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood? The dude on the left looks a bit like an assassin type... I'd say it's his eyes that give it away...

Kasatka

Ok, clue the second: This arr pee gee is often held up as an example of the great games that it's developers used to make in comparison to their recent efforts.